I’ve recently finished this hoodie, requested by my friend, Ivor, of Tudor House.
He had given me a few ideas of the sort of thing he wanted, so we looked through some patterns that I thought would work, and he picked the lovely ‘Hooded Jacket (for men) by Patons.
I used the pattern as a base, but made quite a few alterations, to suit the way I prefer to work, such as knitting it in the round as opposed to doing the back and fronts separately (it made working the pockets slightly confusing, not least because I had about 5 circulars holding various bits and bobs at times). I also chose to knit both sleeves at the same time, on one circ, as I thought I might get ‘second sleeve syndrome’ and not want to start the second when I’d finally completed the first!
The original pattern called for a zip, but Ivor wanted buttons (and it finished in time for a holiday, with no way of me getting a zip in time!) so I set about knitting button bands, which saw lots of me crouched over it with a tape measure and lots of markers, scratching my head and puzzling my way through knitting maths – I was so proud/pleased that it all worked out so well!
It is the largest thing I’ve ever knitted, that wasn’t a blanket (Ivor is about 6’4″), it didn’t take too long, maybe a little less than a month, but I did work on it A LOT in that time. I’m really happy with how it worked out, and I think you can see that Ivor is too!
I have just completed my first order through Etsy’s ‘Request Custom Order’ button, as opposed to through private messages.
The order was from a lovely customer, who had seen a crochet roll in my shop in a fabric she liked, she asked if I could make a knitting roll in the same fabric. A quick look through the fabric cupboard and I found just enough left to make one, phew!
Having never used the ‘Custom Order’ process before, I didn’t really know what to expect but it was nice and simple, and I’m pleased to say it all went smoothly, and now I’m off to the Post Office with it!
Hope you’ve all had a lovely Christmas, it was an enjoyable one here, but hectic, and every day felt like a Sunday for weeks!
There was a bit of sadness that the custom order Little Red Riding Hood set went missing for about 6 weeks, but the customer was lovely, and very understanding, and thankfully it turned up just after New Year – phew!
I’ve been looking into my family tree this year – with some very interesting and unexpected surprises – and on my (email) Christmas card list, I had an extra eight distant relatives to send to! I’ve met, and am lucky to be related to, some of the most lovely people in my search for the past.
And then to top it off, we had a bit of snow, announced to me as I woke, by B singing ‘It’s beginning to look at lot like Christmas’ (on the 18th January :D) so yesterday was spent with him scraping up everything he could find (we don’t get much here) to make a stash of snowballs – and I love the snowflake shot I managed to get – happy days!
The latest commission I’ve had has been these plaques.
I’ve done quite a few in the past, usually for childrens bedroom doors, but these are to commemorate two pets, and are to be placed alongside roses planted in their memory.
The only difference has been to varnish them in a tough, outdoor varnish to protect them from the elements – yacht varnish takes a lot longer to dry, and they’ve had a few coats, so they’ve taken a while to complete but the lady they are for is delighted with them.
These are a last minute Christmas commission, a set of three pencil rolls.
I used to make small crayon rolls a long time ago – they started out after wanting to be able to keep all my toddler’s crayons together when we went out, rather than have to scrabble round the bottom of my bag for each one!
A friend had seen one of those old crayon rolls, and asked if I could make her some custom ones to fit irregular sized colouring pencils that were to be given as Christmas gifts.
I was really happy with how they turned out, as was she – I hope the recipients like them too 🙂
This is the latest blanket commission to be completed. I love the rich colours that were chosen for me to work with – it looked really vibrant when finished.
I’d not made such a detailed blanket before – each square had 7 rounds, there were 15 colours in all, and I wasn’t looking forward to weaving the ends in! I decided to crochet batches of 10 squares, then weave the ends in as I went, which seemed like a very slow process but had to be better than spending 5 days at the end sewing them all in – I ended up with over 200g of leftover ends!
Halfway through the blanket I needed to order more of a couple of colours I’d run out of, and while waiting for them to be delivered I played about with making some bunting. It has 6 triangles, with pretty pointy edging on each, and although the photo of it up at the window hasn’t captured the colours properly, it is the same colours as the blanket.
I think if I had a little girl there would be lots of this bunting about her room, but as I don’t, I’m offering this as a giveaway 😀
Just comment if you’d like it! (There are no rules such as RT or ‘Share’ but if you’d like to, that would be great :D) I’ll draw a random name in a fortnight or so.
This giveaway is now closed. Thanks to all who entered 🙂
I have been making knitting/crochet rolls/holders for a while now, so when I was asked by Kim of Kims Creative Crafts if I could make a custom order for her, with fabric she already had, I was delighted. And what a set of beautiful Michael Miller fabrics she sent!
Her response: “wow its gorgeous!! I LOVE it Emma!!! Thank you so much xx”